Sunday, November 28, 2010

Andy Carroll: I want to stay at Newcastle United for the rest of my life

Andy Carroll insists that he would like to remain at Newcastle United for the rest of his life as a footballer.

The 21-year-old has made a seamless transition from the Championship to the Premier League, and has already scored eight goals in 13 Premier League starts for the Tyneside club.

The towering hitman has been touted as legendary striker Alan Shearer's natural successor at the club, inheriting his iconic No.9 jersey in the process.

And recently Carroll signed a new five-year contract as an unambiguous statement of his enduring commitment to the Magpies.

"I always liked scoring goals, whether it was for my school team or with my friends," he said, according to The News of the World.

"Obviously, when I got the chance I knew I had to prove my worth as a striker.

"Then I suddenly shot up and it was Alan Shearer I admired," recalled Carroll, who stands 6ft 5in tall.

"Because of the goals he scored and how he played, he [Shearer] was the one. I always wanted the No.9 shirt and I asked for it in the summer.

"A few days later the manager [Chris Hughton] said I could have it."

The youngster's exploits have seen him being linked in the media with a move away from the Toon. But he insists that he intends to stay at the club for the remainder of his career.

"It's good to hear teams are talking about you and other people are talking about you," said Carroll. "But the five-year deal I've just signed is serious.

"I wouldn't have signed it if I wanted to move somewhere else.

"It doesn't matter what other people or other teams are saying. This is the club I wanted to sign for.

"When I was younger this is what I wanted to do.

"Just 18 months ago I dreamt of all this.

"Now I've got it I need to stay here and keep doing what I'm doing.

"I signed a new contract and I want to be here for the rest of my life.

"I don't want to have a dream and not fulfil it."



Source: Goal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment